Barstool Online Sportsbook Michigan – 2021 Review
What started out as a sports and pop culture blog way back in 2003 written by David Portnoy has grown into an empire encompassing news, sports talk, blogs, podcasts, comedy and now an online sportsbook. Through a deal that saw Penn National purchase 36% of the company, Barstool is launching their self-branded sportsbooks in states around the country.
Barstool went live in Michigan in 2021 and is now available to all eligible bettors in Michigan both in-person and online.
Barstool Sportsbook MI Bonus Offer
|Barstool Sportsbook MI Promo Code|
|No Deposit Bonus||$10 free betting credit|
|New Member Offer||Risk-free bet up to $1000|
|MI License Partner||Greektown Casino|
|Online Launch||January 22nd, 2021|
To attract new customers, online sportsbooks will get you started with some type of bonus or free bet offer. Barstool Online sportsbook has launched in MI and is offering a two-part welcome package starting off with a $10 no-deposit bonus. The $10 free will be waiting for you in your account once you successfully register a new account. The second part of the welcome package is a one-time risk-free bet up to $1000 for new customers.
A risk-free bet is where you make your first deposit and place your first bet. If that bet is a winner, it will be paid out as normal and nothing else happens. If that first bet comes up a bit short, no worries: Barstool will credit you with bonus cash to the tune of 100% of your first wager up to $1000. Only single wagers (including a parlay bet, if it is the only bet on your slip) with odds no longer than -200 are eligible: we’ll give an example to explain how this works.
Let’s say you sign up, deposit $500 and wager all of it on the Lions at +100. If the Lions win, you will be paid out the usual $1000. If that bet comes up a loser, then you will receive $500 in site credit that can be bet on another single wager of your choice. This can be tricky, so make sure you make your first ever deposit before adding your first wager, and don’t forget to enter the wager amount, or the bet won’t be eligible.
In order to make that site credit usable, simply bet 1x through the amount of your bonus cash. The site credit expires just seven days later, so if you don’t use it, you lose it.
Barstool Online Sportsbook Now Live in Michigan
The original target launch date for online sports betting was sometime in late 2020, but (understandably) Michigan missed the mark.
Michigan had been working with lawmakers in other states who have already launched online sports betting which meant they had a blueprint to work from, as opposed to states that had to draft regulations from scratch. The MGCB furnished licenses by late 2020 and on January 22, 2021, Michigan saw the first online casinos and sportsbooks go live.
Barstool was one of ten sportsbooks to start offering online sports betting to players in Michigan right out of the gate, and the service is quickly gaining traction as the market matures. Read on for more information about this nationally-recognized platform and how to get online and betting today.
Barstool Online Sportsbook Reputation
Barstool Online Sportsbook is active and accepting bets in Michigan. In a small amount of time they have created a lot of buzz, and generated favorable reviews. Their partnership with Penn National was a smart choice. Penn National successfully runs an online casino in Pennsylvania and has lofty goals to be one of the premier iGaming companies in the US. Penn National struck a massive deal with Barstool where we saw the gambling giant purchase 36% of Barstool for $163 million and will eventually own half of the brand by 2023.
The deal with Penn National gives Barstool legitimacy in an already crowded US sports betting market. Barstool has a history of being somewhat controversial, but has improved its image over the past few years and has become a go-to sports and pop culture new source for many loyal fans around the world. This deal is a win/win for both sides as Penn National knows gaming, and Barstool has the brand recognition and popularity to make them into a contender.
Signing up for an account at Barstool Online Sportsbook
Who is eligible for an account at Barstool?
In order to be eligible for an account at any online sportsbook in Michigan, you must meet a few certain criteria:
- You must be 21 years of age or older in order to create an online sportsbook account.
- You must not be on any casino or sportsbook exclusion lists, including those that are self-excluding or as designated by a retail or online casino.
- While you do not need to be a Michigan resident, and can sign up, deposit and withdraw from anywhere, you must be physically located inside the state of Michigan in order to place a bet.
More about Location
As we’ve just explained, you don’t have to be a resident of Michigan, but your mobile device or computer must be set up to share your location with the service, and you can only legally wager within the state. In order to verify this, Barstool uses an industry-standard plugin called Geocomply which must be added to your computer’s web browser and be enabled to place legal bets. For mobile users, simply make sure the app is allowed to access your location.
How to register a new account
Registering a new account is simple and takes just a few minutes. To get started, follow the directions below:
- Click on the account button in the bottom right hand corner of the app, and then click on “register now”
- Enter your email, username, and password and click “next step”
- You will then be prompted to enter your personal information such as name, date of birth, address, and last four of your social security number. This step is used to verify your identity, for both your security and the security of the site.
- Barstool will instantly and securely verify your identity and your account is ready to use. You can either play with the free $10 or use any of the various deposit options to add cash to your account.
Banking options at Barstool Online Sportsbook
As every aspect of a new online sportsbook must go through rigorous testing, some banking options may take longer to appear on a new site. Barstool Sportsbook hosts a number of available cashiering options, including:
- Online banking transfer: Use your checking account’s bill pay feature to safely and securely deposit and withdraw funds from your Barstool account.
- Play+ Card: Register with the Play+ service and get a prepaid card that works as an online wallet and a debit card. You can easily use this to add funds to, or take funds from, your account.
- PayPal: Use the worlds most popular eWallet to get money on and off your Barstool Sportsbook account.
- Credit/Debit Cards: Use your Visa or Mastercard to immediately deposit funds to your Barstool account. Credit and debit cards can be used for deposits only.
- PayNearMe: Another deposit only option that lets you choose your amount, and it will send you a barcode. Simply bring that barcode to any 7-11, CVS or Family Dollar along with cash to make your deposit. Funds will be available within 15 minutes.
- Cash at the Casino Cage: Bring cash along with your photo ID to the Greektown Casino cage in Detroit for pain-free in-person transactions.
The Barstool Sportsbook is available on mobile devices and desktop computers. The mobile app is easy to use and has strong similarities to the industry leading FanDuel sportsbook app.
The app makes it easy to find any bet you desire via quick pick buttons across the top of the screen and pop up menus from the bottom of the screen. Once you find the sport or individual game, Barstool has tabs to find the categories you would like to bet. The homepage is populated by upcoming and live betting options with a sliding banner system to show you all the promos and news you need to know to have a better betting experience. The app is aesthetically pleasing and Barstool does a great job of keeping the screen free of clutter.
To download the iOS app, simply navigate to the Apple App store and find the Barstool sportsbook app. Android users can download the app directly from the website. The app is free and once downloaded, you can sign up, deposit, and place bets directly from the app.
The desktop version of the Barstool Sportsbook has everything the mobile version offers in a wider-screen format. If you’ve got access to a desktop or laptop computer, the extra screen size goes a long way in making for a streamlined, functional sportsbook experience. While it’s just as usable and portable on mobile, some users might find they enjoy having everything on one dynamically updating screen without having to swipe or tap around. Either way, the sportsbook is a solid way to bet in Michigan no matter your device.
Why choose Barstool Online Sportsbook over off-shore betting sites?
The biggest advantage to betting on legal and regulated online sportsbooks is the safety and security that comes with government oversight. Offshore sites answer to no one. If they elect to close up shop overnight you would have no legal recourse, whereas legal and regulated sites must pass rigorous testing in order to operate in the state of Michigan. Other advantages include:
- Banking- Safe and secure banking options so you know exactly where your money is. With legal and regulated online sportsbooks, you never have to worry about getting your money quickly.
- Rigorous testing- All sites have to go through extensive testing from the MGCB and third-party analysts in order to be given the green light to launch. This includes all aspects, like lines, odds, betting functionality, banking options, betting functions, and more. Online sportsbooks answer to the same government oversight as any land-based casino, and the testing doesn’t stop once they go live.
- Land Based Partner – Barstool has partnered with Greektown Casino, a landmark in the Michigan gambling scene. Offshore sites have zero presence in the US, so there is no recourse if something goes wrong. Here, you’ve got a clear line to customer service, and gambling providers are legally bound to provide you with customer support, Responsible Gaming options, and more.
Barstool MI betting markets
Barstool Online Sportsbook has a huge selection when it comes to betting markets. Not only do they cover the popular US betting markets like football and basketball, but also more niche markets like table tennis and volleyball. Available betting markets include, but are not limited to:
- Australian Rules
- Table Tennis
Barstool online sportsbook has a huge selection of betting types including your standard moneylines and spreads, to alternative spreads and totals. Each matchup has a huge selection of bets that includes, but is not limited to:
- Moneyline: The simplest of all bets, where you are simply betting who will win.
- Spread: Betting on who will cover a pre-determined margin of points.
- Totals: Also referred to as over/under, you are betting on if the total amount of points will go over or under a set number.
- Parlays: A bet on a combination of other bets, where all legs of the parlay must win to be graded as a winner.
- Alternative lines: Moving the spread or totals lines in either direction that also comes with an odds change.
- Futures: Betting on an event or outcome that will be settled in the future such as betting on who will win the NBA championship.
- Prop Bets: Betting on player or team actions such as total points by an individual player, who will score the first basket or amount of assists by a specific team.
Online sportsbooks can be truly innovative with their ingame betting, and Barstool capitalizes on this opportunity as well as anyone. Ingame betting is when you are able to bet events on-the-fly as the action unfolds. Spreads, moneylines and even some prop bets can be found on the Barstool site or app.
Aside from the generous welcome offer, Barstool has several other promotional offers including:
- Listed Pitcher Insurance: If the listed pitcher does not start, Barstool will cover any losses if that bet comes out a bit short. There is no limit on how much they will refund in the form of 1x site credit.
- Barstool Happy Hour: From 5pm-6pm Monday through Friday, certain games will have discounted juice on spreads and totals. No opt-in required and the schedule is posted in the promotions section.
- Customization Bonus: Recieve a $5 bonus by setting your “Betting Favorites” in the account preferences section.
Barstool MI Customer Service options
If you run into any problems along the way, Barstool has three options to get your questions answered. These include:
- Frequently asked questions: A comprehensive guide of all the common questions you may have. If you can’t find your answer here, you still have the other two options to reach a live person.
- Live chat: For pressing issues, this may be your best option. Chat with a live agent on the app to get any problems resolved.
- Email: Send an email to customer service and they will respond as soon as possible to answer any questions you may have.