Barstool Online Sportsbook Michigan – 2021 Preview
***Barstool Online Sportsbook is not live yet, but is expected to launch by late 2020/early 2021. This preview is based on Barstool sportsbooks already operating in other states.
What started out as a sports and pop culture blog way back in 2003 written by David Portnoy has grown into an empire encompassing news, sports talk, blogs, podcasts, comedy and now an online sportsbook. Through a deal that saw Penn National purchase 36% of the company, Barstool will launch their self-branded sportsbooks in states around the country.
Barstool went live in Pennsylvania in September 2020 and will look to be one of the first to go live in Michigan when lawmakers give the green light.
Barstool Sportsbook MI Bonus Offer
|Barstool Sportsbook MI Promo Code||Coming soon|
|No Deposit Bonus||TBD|
|New Member Offer||TBD|
|MI License Partner||Greektown Casino|
|Online Launch||Late 2020 / Early 2021|
To attract new customers, online sportsbooks will get you started with some type of bonus or free bet offer. Barstool Online sportsbook has launched in PA and is offering a two-part welcome package starting off with a $10 no-deposit bonus. The $10 free will be waiting for you in your account once you successfully register a new account. The second part of the welcome package is a one-time risk-free bet up to $500 for new customers and we expect them to use the same offer when they go live in Michigan.
A risk-free bet is where you make your first deposit and place your first bet. If that bet is a winner, it will be paid out as normal and nothing else happens. If that first bet comes up a bit short, no worries, Barstool will refund your account 100% up to $500 in site credit within 72 hours of the bet being settled.
For example, if you sign up, deposit $500 and place that bet on the Lions at +100. If the Lions win, you will be paid out the usual $1000. If that bet comes up a loser, then you will receive $500 in site credit that can be bet in any denomination, and must be bet 1x through in order to convert the site credit to your cash balance. The site credit expires just seven days later, so if you don’t use it, you lose it.
When will Barstool Online Sportsbook launch in Michigan?
The original target launch date for online sports betting was sometime in late 2020, early 2021, but a lot has changed in the world since that first estimate. Despite lawmakers being stuck at home during the Covid-19 quarantine, it appears they have been working hard from their homes to get the ball rolling quicker than expected. This fast tracked timeline could still get Barstool online in Michigan by the end of the year.
A lot would have to go right in order for this to happen though. Meetings are scheduled to hammer out all the regulations the fall, and lawmakers are fairly confident they can get everything together in time. Once the regulations are submitted, the Joint Committee on Administration Rules can decide to hold a hearing or just waive the review process entirely. Once the regulations are either approved or waived by the JCAR, the rules will be effective.
Michigan has been working with lawmakers in other states who have already launched online sports betting which means they have a blueprint to work from, as opposed to states that had to draft regulations from scratch. Michigan State Rep Brandt Iden, who led the way in the fight to bring internet gambling to Michigan, is confident that the regulations that he put together using the experience from other US markets will get the quick approval of his peers.
Barstool should be ready to go live as soon as regulators give the green light. As mentioned, end of the year is still in play, but early 2021 is also a possibility. Be sure to check back often for updates on Michigans launch timeline here.
Barstool Online Sportsbook Reputation
Barstool Online Sportsbook is active and accepting bets thus far in the state of Pennsylvania. In a small amount of time they have created a lot of buzz, and generated favorable reviews. Their partnership with Penn National was a smart choice. Penn National successfully runs an online casino in Pennsylvania and has lofty goals to be one of the premier iGaming companies in the US. Penn National struck a massive deal with Barstool where we saw Penn National purchase 36% of the company for $163 million and will eventually own half of Barstool by 2023.
The deal with Penn National gives Barstool legitimacy in an already crowded US sports betting market. Barstool has a history of being somewhat controversial, but has improved its image over the past few years and has become a go-to sports and pop culture new source for many loyal fans around the world. This deal is a win/win for both sides as Penn National knows gaming, and Barstool has the brand recognition and popularity to make them into a contender.
Signing up for an account at Barstool Online Sportsbook
Who is eligible for an account at Barstool?
In order to be eligible for an account at any online sportsbook in Michigan, you must meet a few certain criteria:
- You must be 21 years of age or older in order to create an online sportsbook account.
- You must not be on any casino or sportsbook exclusion lists, including self imposed or designated by a retail or online casino.
- While you do not need to be a Michigan resident, and can sign up, deposit and withdraw from anywhere, you must be physically located inside the state of Michigan in order to place a bet.
How to register a new account
Registering a new account is simple and takes just a few minutes. To get started, follow the directions below:
- Click on the account button in the bottom right hand corner of the app, and then click on “register now”
- Enter your email, username, and password and click “next step”
- You will then be prompted to enter your personal information such as name, date of birth, address, and last four of your social security number. This step is used to verify your identity, for both your security and the security of the site.
- Barstool will instantly and securely verify your identity and your account is ready to use. You can either play with the free $10 or use any of the various deposit options to add cash to your account.
Banking options at Barstool Online Sportsbook
As every aspect of a new online sportsbook must go through rigorous testing, some banking options may take longer to appear on a new site. Barstool Sportsbook will look to add as many options for both deposits and withdrawals, including these popular choices:
- Online banking transfer: Use your checking accounts bill pay feature to safely and securely deposit and withdraw funds from your Barstool account.
- ACH/Echeck: Use your checking accounts routing and account number to instantly and safely deposit and withdraw funds. ACH transfers may take 1-3 days to reflect in your bank account.
- Skrill: A third party eWallet that can be used to deposit and withdraw money after linking a credit card or bank account. Skrill can be used to convert funds to many different international currencies.
- PayPal: Use the worlds most popular eWallet to get money on and off your Barstool Sportsbook account.
- Credit/Debit Cards: Use your Visa or Mastercard to immediately deposit funds to your Barstool account. Credit and debit cards can be used for deposits only.
- PayNearMe: Another deposit only option that lets you choose your amount, and it will send you a barcode. Simply bring that barcode to any 7-11, CVS or Family Dollar along with cash to make your deposit. Funds will be available within 15 minutes.
- Cash at the Casino Cage: Bring cash along with your photo ID to the Greektown Casino cage in Detroit for pain free in-person transactions.
When Barstool launched in Pennsylvania, the only available platform was via a mobile app, but we expect a desktop site to be available at some point in the future. The mobile app is easy to use and has strong similarities to the industry leading FanDuel sportsbook app.
The app makes it easy to find any bet you desire via quick pick buttons across the top of the screen and pop up menus from the bottom of the screen. Once you find the sport or individual game, Barstool has tabs to find the categories you would like to bet. The homepage is populated by upcoming and live betting options with a sliding banner system to show you all the promos and news you need to know to have a better betting experience. The app is aesthetically pleasing and Barstool does a great job of keeping the screen free of clutter.
To download the iOS app, simply navigate to the Apple App store and find the Barstool sportsbook app. Android users can download the app directly from the website. The app is free and once downloaded, you can sign up, deposit, and place bets directly from the app. Once a desktop version is available, you can be sure that it will function similar to the app, with slight changes as they can utilize a larger screen.
Why choose Barstool Online Sportsbook over off-shore betting sites?
The biggest advantage to betting on legal and regulated online sportsbooks is the safety and security that comes with government oversight. Offshore sites answer to no one. If they elect to close up shop overnight you would have no legal recourse, whereas legal and regulated sites must pass rigorous testing in order to operate in the state of Michigan. Other advantages include:
- Banking- Safe and secure banking options so you know exactly where your money is. With legal and regulated online sportsbooks, you never have to worry about getting your money quickly.
- Rigorous testing- All sites have to go through extensive testing in order to be given the green light to launch. This includes all aspects, like lines, odds, betting functionality, banking options, betting functions, and more. Online sportsbooks answer to the same government oversight as any land-based casino, and the testing doesn’t stop once they go live.
- Land Based Partner – Barstool has partnered with Greektown Casino, a landmark in the Michigan gambling scene. Offshore sites have zero presence in the US, so there is no recourse if something goes wrong.
Barstool MI betting markets
Barstool Online Sportsbook has a huge selection when it comes to betting markets. Not only do they cover the popular US betting markets like football and basketball, but also more niche markets like table tennis and volleyball. Available betting markets include, but are not limited to:
- Australian Rules
- Table Tennis
Barstool online sportsbook has a huge selection of betting types including your standard moneylines and spreads, to alternative spreads and totals. Each matchup has a huge selection of bets that includes, but is not limited to:
- Moneyline: The simplest of all bets, where you are simply betting who will win.
- Spread: Betting on who will cover a pre-determined margin of points.
- Totals: Also referred to as over/under, you are betting on if the total amount of points will go over or under a set number.
- Parlays: A bet on a combination of other bets, where all legs of the parlay must win to be graded as a winner.
- Alternative lines: Moving the spread or totals lines in either direction that also comes with an odds change.
- Futures: Betting on an event or outcome that will be settled in the future such as betting on who will win the NBA championship.
- Prop Bets: Betting on player or team actions such as total points by an individual player, who will score the first basket or amount of assists by a specific team.
Online sportsbooks can be truly innovative with their ingame betting, and Barstool capitalizes on this opportunity as good as anyone. Ingame betting is when you are able to bet on every pitch, inning, down or possession as the action unfolds. All the standard moneyline, spread, totals and alternative lines are available with constantly updating lines as the game is played.
Aside from the generous welcome offer, Barstool has several other promotional offers including:
- Listed Pitcher Insurance: If the listed pitcher does not start, Barstool will cover any losses if that bet comes out a bit short. There is no limit on how much they will refund in the form of 1x site credit.
- Barstool Happy Hour: From 5pm-6pm Monday through Friday, certain games will have discounted juice on spreads and totals. No opt-in required and the schedule is posted in the promotions section.
- Customization Bonus: Recieve a $5 bonus by setting your “Betting Favorites” in the account preferences section.
Barstool MI Customer Service options
If you run into any problems along the way, Barstool has three options to get your questions answered. These include:
- Frequently asked questions: A comprehensive guide of all the common questions you may have. If you can’t find your answer here, you still have the other two options to reach a live person.
- Live chat: For pressing issues, this may be your best option. Chat with a live agent on the app to get any problems resolved.
- Email: Send an email to customer service and they will respond as soon as possible to answer any questions you may have.